So, let’s talk about what criteria needs to be met by someone wanting to become a notary public in California. To become a notary in California, a person
1) must be a California resident,
2) must be at least 18 years of age,
3) the person must complete a California State approved notary education course
4) of course that person must pass a written, proctored, closed-book examination covering California notary law, and
5) that person must also pass a criminal background check.
Let’s look at each of these a little more closely.